7 Step Colonoscopy Countdown
You’ve come this far, so we’re hoping you can keep a secret…
It turns out colonoscopy prep isn’t really as much fun as we’ve been letting on. But there are seven easy steps that will make your experience much easier!
Step 1: Scheduling
Schedule the actual colonoscopy procedure as early in the day as possible. There are some food groups that you’ll want to avoid!
Step 3: Things To Buy At The Store
Before you start the prep, purchase these items at the store:
Diaper Rash Cream
Personal Cleansing Medicated Soft Wipes
Clear Juice or Sport Drink
Step 4: Prepping The Prep Liquid
When you get your prep solution, do the following three steps:
1. Mix it up according to the doctor’s instructions.
2. Refrigerate and be sure to add the flavor packet.
3. Reserve and pour some of the liquid in small ice cube size containers and freeze, enough for around six ice cubes.
Step 5: 24 Hours Before Procedure
The day before the colonoscopy, try not to do any strenuous work. Avoid solid foods, and consume only clear liquids like clear broth or bouillon, black coffee or tea, clear juice (apple, white grape), clear soft drinks or sports drinks, Jell-O, popsicles, etc. Chicken broth is very good for energy. But take nothing with red, blue, or purple dye. Drink extra liquids before, during, and after your bowel prep.
Step 6: Drinking the Prep Liquid
When you’re ready to drink the prep solution, set yourself up in a room close to the toilet.
Grab your prep liquid, a large glass, a measuring cup, aluminum foil, lemon drops, ginger ale, and a timer. Wear loose clothing, and stay near the bathroom.
- Measure out the required amount of liquid using the measuring cup and put the liquid in the large glass.
- Add two ice cubes made of the same liquid, cover with aluminum foil and poke the bendy straw in the top.
- Put a lemon drop in your mouth and sip, being sure to put the straw at the back of your mouth.
- Between sips, use the lemon drop to get rid of the flavor.
Step 7: It’s Colonoscopy Time!
On the day of the colonoscopy, if you need to drink more liquid, follow the instructions detailed in
Step 6. Don’t eat or drink anything except water two hours before the procedure.
The actual procedure is a breeze! The physician’s staff will take good care of you, and you can take it easy.
Plus there are drugs to make the experience even better.
Make sure you have someone to take you home after the procedure – NO DRIVING!
Eat a light lunch after the procedure —nothing too heavy or greasy.
Congratulations! Click here to receive your official “I Love My Colon” certificate!